• Weather conditions for the 2017 vintage were mild both in winter and spring prompting early bud break. A sudden drop in temperatures during the last few days of April caused a slight reduction in overall yields, however it didn’t have any detrimental effect on the quality of the grapes. Climatic conditions in summer were dry and sunny with temperatures higher than average. Rainy weather halfway through September restored the vegetative cycle of the vines boosting optimal grape ripening. Harvesting of Sangiovese grapes for Pèppoli began on September 20th.
• After the grapes were picked, the three varieties were fermented separately in stainless steel vats to preserve unique aromatic and flavor profiles.
• Sangiovese was fermented with 10 days of skin contact, while Merlot and Syrah were given a bit longer period on their skins in order to create soft tannins and extract their fruity aromas.
• After malolactic fermentation, the Sangiovese, Merlot and Syrah were blended and placed into large Slavonian oak casks.
• After nine months of aging in oak, the wine was bottled and aged before release.
• Introduced with the 1985 vintage, Peppoli Chianti Classico DOCG is the archetypal modern Chianti Classico. Peppoli combines the complexity and structure of a well-aged Riserva with the fruity fragrance of a young wine.
• This style is made possible by a unique microclimate where east-northeast facing vineyards are planted in a small heat-retaining valley on mineral rich, rocky soils that are perfect for growing very fruity, lively Sangiovese.
• The wine further benefits from the use of better Sangiovese clones, discerning grape bunch selection, and delayed harvest when necessary.
• The wine is produced on Antinori’s Peppoli Estate, which extends over 247 acres, 136 of which are under vine.
The 2017 Pèppoli is ruby red in color. On the nose are fruity notes of red and black fruit, cherries, strawberries and blackberries accompanied by delicate balsamic and herbal aromas and a spicy undertone. The palate is vibrant and savory with supple tannins that back up a persistent and pleasantly fresh finish.
- 90% Sangiovese
- 10% Merlot and Syrah
- Alcohol: 13.5%
Fruity aromas of red berry and plum mingle with whiffs of blue flower and dark spice. Juicy and polished, the palate doles out succulent Marasca cherry, blackberry and clove accompanied by fine-grained tannins. Drink through 2025. - Wine Enthusiast Magazine 90 points