Eroica Riesling offers sweet lime and mandarin orange aromas with subtle mineral notes. The mouth-watering acidity is beautifully balanced by flavorful Washington Riesling fruit. Eroica is a blended statement of the finest Riesling vineyards in the state. To achieve our Eroica style we strive for bright fruit with crisp acidity and enhanced mineralilty. - Bob Bertheau, Winemaker
* The 2016 vintage experienced the best of both worlds with a hot spring and early summer, but also a cool fall season.
* Cooler temperatures in August and September, slowed down ripening and resulted in longer hang time for the grapes and the longest harvest on record in Washington State (August 15-November 15).
* Overall, 2016 saw very favorable growing conditions, producing wines with ripeness and elegance.
* Eroica begins in the vineyard with Ernst Loosen and Chateau Ste. Michelle winemaker Bob Bertheau collaborating on site selection, irrigation management, crop levels and canopy management.
* They work with vineyard managers to adjust yields and manage fruit exposure to prolong the ripening season for added flavor development of these cooler climate vineyards.
* Evergreen Vineyard in the Ancient Lakes AVA provided over half of the fruit for the 2016 blend (66%).
* Viewcrest, and Jacona vineyards also contributed to the blend.
* To protect flavor intensity, grapes were harvested at night when the vineyard temperatures were coldest.
* Berries went direct to press, avoiding the possible loss of freshness caused by a crusher/destemmer.
* A cool fermentation created a seamless integration of fruit, sugar and acid. Fruit-driven yeasts with slower fermentation rates were used to slow down fermentation and heighten fruit flavors.
* Ernst Loosen and Bob Bertheau considered dozens of small lots, each reflecting a slight difference in character depending on where the grapes were grown, resulting in the complexity of the final blend.
TA: 0.74 g/100ml