• The 2018 season began with normal winter weather, both in temperatures and rainfall, causing bud break to occur in line with seasonal averages for the region.
• Springtime, May in particular, saw frequent rainfall and temperatures slightly lower than average.
• Summer months were hot, dry and without any significant heat spikes: these climatic conditions gave the grapes an excellent head start in the ripening phase. Some rain showers in August followed by a dry breezy September brought the berries to perfect ripeness.
• Sangiovese grapes for Pèppoli were harvested starting on September 10th.
• After the grapes were picked, the three varieties were fermented separately in stainless steel vats to preserve unique aromatic and flavor profiles.
• Sangiovese was fermented with 10 days of skin contact, while Merlot and Syrah were given a bit longer period on their skins in order to create soft tannins and extract their fruity aromas.
• After malolactic fermentation, the Sangiovese, Merlot and Syrah were blended and placed into large Slavonian oak casks.
• After nine months of aging in oak, the wine was bottled and aged before release.
• Introduced with the 1985 vintage, Pèppoli Chianti Classico DOCG is the archetypal modern Chianti Classico. Pèppoli combines the complexity and structure of a well-aged Riserva with the fruity fragrance of a young wine.
• This style is made possible by a unique microclimate where east-northeast facing vineyards are planted in a small heat-retaining valley on mineral rich, rocky soils that are perfect for growing very fruity, lively Sangiovese.
• The wine further benefits from the use of better Sangiovese clones, discerning grape bunch selection, and delayed harvest when necessary.
• The wine is produced on Antinori’s Pèppoli Estate, which extends over 247 acres, 136 of which are under vine.
Pèppoli 2018 is ruby red in color. On the nose, Pèppoli offers intense notes of cherries and strawberries that are well balanced with floral undertones of rose. Delicate hints of spices, aromatic herbs and notes of light toasting complete its bouquet. On the palate it’s vibrant, fresh with supple tannins and a finish that brings back aromatic notes perceived on the nose.
- Blend: Primarily Sangiovese with a percentage of Merlot and Syrah
- Alcohol: 13.5%