Another holiday season is upon us! Time for food, drink, family, friends, fun and gifts. This holiday season we thought that we would help you out with your holiday wine selections by creating this quick list of our favorite wines.
This is a 3 part list which includes are Turkey Guide, Parings for Ham and of course Cheese! We update this yearly so check back each year for new and exciting wine picks.
Wines to Pair with Turkey
Turkey is certainly one of the most popular choice for holiday meals around Thanksgiving. Nothing better than to enjoy a great wine with friends, family and Tom Turkey. Holiday dinners traditionally have many sides, some sweet, some salty and buttery, so nailing the "perfect" wine your your holiday spread isn't and exact science, but we feel the following varietals of wines pair really well with most traditional holiday meals with turkey.
There are 7 Wine Varietals that we love with Turkey , here are a few whites & red varietials we love to pair with a holiday bird.
- Sauvignon Blanc
- Pinot Noir
- Cotes Du Rhone
White Wines for Turkey
2016 Riesling Picks for Turkey
Riesling - Traditionally Sweet and often fruity, they are easy to drink and can appeal to almost any holiday guest.
- Glenora Wine Cellars Dry Riesling Finger Lakes 750ML - Crisp fruit flavors, one of the best Finger Lake Region's Rieslings. Try This Wine
- Chateau Ste Michelle-Dr. Loosen Eroica Riesling Columbia Valley 2014 750ML - Robert Parker 91 Points and Wine Enthusiast 89 Points. - Try This Wine
- Charles Smith Wines Kung Fu Girl Riesling Columbia Valley 2014 - Try This Wine
- St. Urbans-Hof Riesling QbA Weingut 2013 - (no longer available)
2016 Sauvignon Blanc Picks
Sauvignon Blanc - Known for being light and crisp, Sauvignon Blanc has citrus notes and a wonderful bouquet.
- Once Upon A Vine, The Lost Slipper Sauvignon Blanc 2011 750ML - A California Sauvignon Blanc that is well balanced with fruit aromas. - Try This Wine
- Ninety Plus (90+) Cellars Sancerre Lot 126 Reserve Loire Valley 2015 750ML - Another non-New Zeland Sauvignon Blanc, this French SB has found its way onto the world's top restraunt wine lists. - Try This Wine
- Cloudy Bay Sauvignon Blanc Marlborough 2014 750ML - This will make you a believer in Sauvignon Blanc. Listed as one of New Zealands top white wines by Wine Magazine, this wine has flavors of ripe citrus and lemongrass carefully balanced with acidity, a 90 Point Rating by Robert Parker, ready to enjoy, only $28.00/bottle. (Vintage No Longer Available)
- Santa Rita Sauvignon Blanc Reserva Casablanca Valley 2014 - Another great Sauvignon Blanc, coming from Chile, this has a youthful and well balanced taste. (vintage no longer available).
2016 Gewurztraminer Picks
Gewurztraminer - Available in sweet or dry, gewurztraminer is very aromatic with spice notes, excellent with sausage stuffing.
- Hazlitt 1852 Gewurztraminer Finger Lakes 750ML - From the Finger Lakes, Hazlitt Winery created this classic Gewurztraminer . - Try This Wine
- Hugel et Fils Gewurztraminer Alsace 2012 - From grapes exclusively from estate owned vineyards surrounding the village of Riquewihr, this classic Gewurztraminer will delight. Wine Spectator 89 Points, drink now through 2019, as low as $21.99/bottle. -Try This Wine
Red Wine Pairings for Turkey
2016 Picks for Pinot Noir
Pinot Noir - For turkey, we prefer younger pinot noir for a lighter fruity taste that won't overpower the taste of the turkey.
- Francis Ford Coppola Director's Pinot Noir Sonoma County 2013 750ML - First impressions boast lush, juicy berry nuances while soft, round tannins frame vibrant flavors of cranberry, nutmeg, and coriander. Winery. - Try This Wine
- Divum Pinot Noir Monterey 2014 750ML - 100% Pinot Noir. 100% native yeast fermentation. 10 months French oak aged.- Try This Wine
- Josh Cellars Pinot Noir Central Coast 2014 - Another great wine from Josh Cellars, and a wonderful wine with flavors of dark cherry and chocolate. - Try This Wine
- Belle Glos Meiomi Pinot Noir Sonoma Coast 2014 750ML - If you've never tried Belle Glos wines your in for a treat. The Meiome Pinot Noir is another well balanced and rich, bold wine from Belle Glos. At $21.00 (16% off) a great purchase. - Try This Wine
2016 Picks for Beaujolais & Cotes du Rhone
Beaujolais - Made in the Beaujolais region of France, these wines are light and crisp. The Villages or Cru are a wonderful complement to turkey.
Cotes Du Rhone - A medium bodied French wine blend primarily of Grenache from the Rhone region. A very good wine with the holiday meal.
- Louis Jadot Beaujolais Villages 2015 750ML - Brilliant Garnet wine with gentle tannins, pairs exceptionally well with turkey. - Try This Wine
- Jaboulet Cotes du Rhone Parallel 45 2014 750ML - a fresh, medium bodied red driven by notes of black fruit and exotic spices with a rounded and delicate mouthfeel. - Try This Wine
- Louis Jadot Beaujolais Villages 2013 750ML - Wonderful with Turkey - (2013 no longer available).
2016 Zinfandel Picks
Zinfandel - Peppery, and flavors of plum and jam will drink well throughout the dinner meal.
- Robert Biale Black Chicken Zinfandel Napa Valley 2014 750ML - A Napa Valley Zinfandel that brings wonderful flavors and aged for production. - Try This Wine
- Big Smooth Old Vine Zinfandel Lodi 2014 750ML - This is what California Zins are about, big bold and smooth with aromas that draw you in. - Try This Wine
- Bogle Vineyards Old Vine Zinfandel Clarksburg 2013 - Very lively with notes of red cranberries and pink peppercorns, this Zin won't disappoint. - (2013 No Longer Available)
- Michael and David Phillips Earthquake Zinfandel Lodi 2013 - Robert Parker rates this wine at an impressive 91 Points. Earthquake Zin will easily becomes one of your favorite go to wine selections. - Try This Wine
This concludes our holiday turkey wine selections, be sure to take a look at our other wine guides & tips.